Thursday, October 14, 2010

Postal Service

Letters and postcards that I received recently and a post card project for my students enticed me to write this. I have not been much of a writer all my life. Hence buying stamps, sealing envelopes and posting letters has hardly been part of my memory.
However the recent turn of events has made me realise how beautiful this means of communication is. The letters I feel are like wine, they only get precious the longer they are kept. And the taste can be savoured by re-reading.

Unfortunately in todays times the only interesting fact I know about the Indian Postal Service is that the post offices were the oldest banks in India. More unfortunately they are still trying to maintain record in that style!
Graham Bell ensured that we are connected at the speed of light, Dhirubhai Ambani ensured that we are not just connected to everyone but it is the cheapest means possible. When he was unable to further reduce the price of the call he made the government increase the price of a postcard. Technology is just killing this art form.

I want to support it though. Difficult to find its place in mainstream communication but it is such a pleasing way of communication. I am sure that I am going to make myself happy (while writing) and someone else happy by sending them postcards and letters.

And the irony is that I am writing this on an electronic blog but would now hit post!

1 comment:

  1. 'The letters I feel are like wine, they only get precious the longer they are kept. And the taste can be savoured by re-reading.' Wow this is so beautiful and true.
    Nice post. I love writing letters too. Been ages since I've written one. Reading this, makes me want to get back to writing and posting letters.
    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete