Sunday, April 3, 2011

When we talk


I was told of this once, in fact pin pointed that when I talk about an opinion or I am sharing something I have to use the proverb I. A lot of the times most of us replace the, I with we in making remarks. When told this it did strike me and for a while I was conscious. However in some time I came back to my routine way of replacing an I with a we. Also many more replacements would happen and I would do this as per my convenience.

However a recent thought brought back this idea. And I realized that there are reasons because of which I change the pronoun when I am talking. Mostly when I am talking of something good, strength, a good quality, a difficult habit that I have maintained, I would always use a personal pronoun (I or me for the uninitiated in grammar). Although there might be a very basic reason for this that when I am talking of these things they are unique abilities and hence I can only say it for myself. However the next conversation that crossed my mind made me wonder and pushed me to find out the real reasons of changing pronouns. I was thinking of a conversation when I was talking about some strength and a weakness. While talking of strength I was always using the pronoun I and when talking about weakness I was using you. I felt pathetic on retrospect as so easily I juxtaposed the strengths on myself and the weaknesses on the other. On further thought I realized that when I have to share thoughts, opinions, judgments, I would use the proverb we. This means that I am garnering support behind my idea even if there is none.
The real problem hence is only with me. Is it under-confidence or is it introverted ness? I am still figuring out. Or do I try to take an upper hand or show superiority or make my position stronger. But more that figuring the reasons out I have to work on my usage of proverb. I am sure once I force myself to use the correct pronoun the effect of that would be positive for me and the problem that I am figuring out would automatically get solved.

I am sure things will change, what I realize now is that in the latter half of this writing piece I have only used the correct pronoun. This is quite a bit of change as now when I look at the topic I realize that I have tried to generalize my problem and used the pronoun ‘we’, instead of I.

No comments:

Post a Comment